Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Discipleship

According to the Wikipedia dictionary, a disciple is a follower and student of a mentor, teacher, or other wise figure; and Jesus described what His disciples (followers) would do: Matt 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me." 
He began with unselfishness. Selfishness is perhaps the greatest enemy of following Christ. 
I'm selfish in different ways at different times. I'm selfish with my time, I'm selfish with my stuff, I'm selfish with my money. Presently, I'm seeing the selfishness that I have with time.  Not that I want to spend all my time on myself but rather my lack of patience with others. The false idea that my time is more valuable than theirs. I'm really trying to give time to the ones that God has placed in my midst. 

Jesus set the perfect example of giving, His very life. 
As I look at my life, I am finding ways to give. To give it away, not to be self-less in the eyes of those who see, but to emulate the God that I have proclaimed to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment